Monday, August 4, 2008

Is this really a six week program?

That's the question I have been asking myself, since i started this program of hundred pushups. Initially what attracted me to this program was the idea that i could be doing 100 pushups in six weeks. It seemed like a realistic goal and it got me stirred up and exited.Today it's been six weeks since I started doing pushsups and currently I have completed only 2 weeks of pushups.

The other day I was talking to a co-worker who is also doing the hundred pushups program. This guy is a pretty healthy guy, who eats healthy, goes for walk during lunch breaks and is also taking karate classes. He is doing this program along with his instructor(sensei) and some other classmates in his dojo. My first reaction when i heard this was "You mean your sensei who is a 3rd degree black belt cannot do hundred pushups". Turns out his sensei can do about 80+ pushups and then he has to struggle to get to 100. Up untill this point I really did not have a sense of the enormity of doing 100 pushups in one setting. I believe my cor-worker is someone who can finish off this program in six weeks.

For someone like me, who
  • sits in front of a computer 8-10 hrs a day
  • who is atleast 30 lbs overweight
  • Breathes hard after carrying my 2YO son up the stairs

This could be a 12 week program or more. To be honest I do not care how long this program takes for me. So far this program has helped be become stronger and my muscles are firmer than before, I can actually feel the muscles on my arms. The most important aspect of this program is that it has given me a sense of accomplishment every day. The beauty of this program is that it makes me stretch and struggle every day and gives me an opportunity to beat previous days pushup count. Earlier when I started this program, I would struggle to just do 30+ pushups a day, a Week later I would be struggling to do 40+ pushups and in the last week I was struggling to do 60+ pushups a day.

No comments: